Saturday, March 19, 2011

Jet lag and kids don't mix

It's somewhere around 6 am. I don't really want to know exactly what time it is. Here is how night 2 is going.

9:00 kids bathed, in jammies, playing with legos. Not too riled up, nobody is running laps around the dining room table (that was last night). But they refuse to go to bed.
11:00 pm Paul gets kids in bed, reading books quietly.
11:30 pm feed baby, put him to bed in pack n play. Big kids fall asleep.
12:00 am go to sleep ourselves
12:30 am baby wakes up. Calm, soothe, back to bed. Protests pack n play. Wants my bed. Horrible habit to start but I need sleep. He can stay tonight, right?
1:30 am big kids are up! hooray! Not sleepy at all now! They are out playing legos. Liam falls and somehow crashes on his bag of legos? At which point i make him go to his room to play so he doesn't break anything in the house. Luke goes to sleep.
2:00 am baby is awake! Fun! Jolly! Wants food...I try pack n play again but it's a no go so he's back next to me. Justifying: he'll sleep longer this way, right? Actually no. He fusses every few minutes and only falls asleep when I put him on my tummy. Don't know what time it is but now I am fully awake. So i write a blog post. And feed the baby. And am still fully awake. Which is good, because then i hear luke crying in his sleep. And that means only one thing: we are in for a night terror session.

4:30? 5:00? Liam is somehow STILL awake when I go in to help Luke. Luke is sort of sleep crying/whining because he needs to go to the bathroom but can't wake up enough to get up and go. Sometimes if I get him up in time, he will just go potty and then go back to bed. No such luck here--the potty was unfamiliar and he wound himself up for a good hour's screaming. Wouldn't go, wouldn't go to bed, wouldn't let me go, etc. It's something that used to happen almost every night, but hasn't happened for probably a good year or so. Finally i get him to calm down and just go pee. He is so happy and huggy he wants me to snuggle in bed with him.

I get in between the boys (they are sharing a big bed) and they hug me and kiss me and just give all the cuddles a mom could want. They tell silly what if jokes and giggle and we have a lovely time. Luke reads us a little story and they snuggle into their covers. Hopefully they are asleep.

I think its 7 am now, but, like i said, I don't really want to know. Getting light out. And baby is getting squirmy and probably will wake up soon. I think it's just about daddy-baby bonding time, don't you?


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Tbilisi

4 comments:

  1. Ugh! Miserable! Que dazed-just-get-through-it-face to make it through the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was some night. Talk about time tables being all messed up. What doesn't kill you and all that. Hopefully the grandparents got sleep? Maybe they too can lend some aide?! Cute giggle session.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of when we do our little adventure to England and Armenia, except we only had 2 monkeys then. When we got to England, which is not as many time zones away, we too, luckily, had grandparents to help us. However, the jet lag was killer. We stayed in a hotel room the day we got there and at one point, when I was actually out in the hallway alone at 3 or 4 am trying to compose myself, the front desk lady came rushing down the hall to see if everything was ok. I swear she had the bobbies on speed dial ready to call in a domestic violence offense. Honestly, that first week was pure madness. Not something I would like to do very often.

    I'm cracking up reading all of this though, sorry, I feel your guys' pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steph's not kidding. Those first three nights were total chaos. It makes me want to go to sleep just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete