Monday, March 21, 2011

Happy birthday, sweet Liam!

A little family event in the midst of getting settled in Tbilisi: Liam turned 4 today! (and his cousin Katie turned 5! Yay for birthday buddies!)



For his special day we went out to explore the city with Grandpa. We made friends with a baker--he let the boys watch him put the loaves into a big round clay oven, then pull them out with a special bread hook. We then ate the freshest, crackly, yummy bread as we kept walking. We stopped at a little stationary booth and Liam chose a spiderman notebook, while Luke chose a new marker.

Then we went to a store called Goodwill that is the closest georgian equivalent of a SuperTarget. Lots of western style things, lots from Germany. I was in search of one very specific thing: oregano. Liam asked for pizza for his birthday dinner, and I had not been able to find oregano anywhere. I thought spices would all be available here (they were in Russia ten years ago...) but they only use like three apparently. Coriander, pepper, and thyme are at every store. Random. Anyway. I know the Suspense is killing you--did she find oregano or not? The answer is yes! Goodwill did have a section of German spices and for 7.5 lari (about $4.50) I got my 12 grams of oregano. Hooray! Incidentally they also carry SOYMILK. So happy!

We explored some more and found a candy store selling really good gummies of every kind. We headed back toward home, making one final stop to get the boys an ice cream cone (bribe for coming out on this excursion in the first place) and a birthday cake for Liam. We actually found a really tasty chocolate cake with real whipped cream filling.

They boys were great little walkers, being careful at every street and learning to cross the road fast to get out of the way of the cars that always have the right of way. I know how to find my way around a little bit, and we made it out and home with no mishaps.

Once home, I made pizza sauce from garlic, real tomatoes and the precious oregano, made the dough, grated a huge block of cheese, and we had ourselves a pizza party. Then cake and presents. Fortunately I had brought a small box of legos here from home (the only thing he really wants). They are available here but at 4 times the price--and I think they ate overpriced in the US. After dinner we played some fun spiderman games, had spiderman noisemakers and the boys captured the villain (dad). All in all I think it was a pretty good birthday for the little man.

Look at this adorable, happy little guy! I feel so lucky to get to be his mom and see this sweet face every day of my life.


He is so funny and so full of life. Always climbing and running and hopping. I love all his cute little sayings and his raspy little voice. What a little man. Love you, Liam!

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Tbilisi

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday do our sweet Liam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you made it an amazing birthday for Liam. Look at you, quite the adventurous one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liam, you are soooooo adorable. It was fun to be there for your birthday!

    ReplyDelete