Thursday, August 19, 2010

so so so gross

yesterday i was out on the back patio for 2 seconds when i noticed a big yucky spiderweb. i thought to myself, that looks like the one i found last time we had a black widow spider...maybe i should clear that off.  paul had barbecued one the day before when he turned on the grill...so i thought i should, yanno, get rid of the web.  just in case.

the web was spread out between the grill and a black cloth bbq bag/cover that was left on the ground. i cleared out the web (using a giant metal bbq spatula) and as i shook out the cover, not only did i get a black widow spider, which is gross enough on its own,



i got a bonus prize of about 10 baby scorpions PLUS a mom scorpion with about 4 more baby scorpions on its back. Ours are actually bark scorpions which are a yellow as babies and tan as adults, but other than that this is pretty much what i saw:



Needless to say they are all very dead.  But still.

SO SO SO GROSS.

5 comments:

  1. EWWW I don't think I could live in the desert... snakes, spiders, scorpians! Eeeck! By the way - have you read "These is my words"? That is set in the AZ territories and is a fabulous read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Griffin and I are freaking out!!! Major pest control is in order. What the heck is going on out there. I had a professor once who told me she knows all of the zip codes where scorpions are rampant, she refuses to move to those areas, because "if you build on a scorpion den they never leave."

    We had excellent success with the exterminator when we had scorpions in Anthem. Our friends did their own spraying and they continued to have lots of scorpions. I don't know anything about where the black widows are coming from? ! Lucky for you you were at the end of a very long metal stick!
    That doesn't sound like "bed rest!" killing nature's most ominous pests. How would you explain that one to the doc if you got bit or stung? LOL...."I was out clearing away spider webs when...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am completely grossed out and have the chills. Ugh! At least we don't have scorpions here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that is disgusting1 I'd have screamed like a little girl.

    I'm still shivering!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Steph, I think you are so brave. I would have screamed and jumped around like crazy. :)

    ReplyDelete