Wednesday, July 28, 2010

do you cloth diaper? or know someone who does?

i always have plans to get caught up on the blog, but i think i will just summarize.  anyone who actually reads this knows what i've been up to anyway, right? this summer we have been to the movies, been swimming, been camping, and been to utah. oh and i just got back from girls camp.  still catching up on sleep.  busy busy busy and lots of fun.

 right now i'm in the middle of getting a 1st grader ready for school, potty training the 3 yr old, and surviving the last 3 months of pregnancy.  (maybe 2 months? hoping that this one will be healthy and stay in long enough to get to come home with me, but since my body kicked the other 2 out at 8 months, it's entirely possible this one will come early too).

i'm planning on cloth diapering #3--because, yanno, what else will i have to do all day with 3 kids?  :-)  mostly i am tired of filling the garbage with poo bombs, sinking money into the trash can, and always running to the store for more diapers and wipes.   this could possibly be due to the fact that i have been buying diapers now for over 6 years. mmmm hmmmm.  i'm just done.

i'm interested in all kinds, but am most intrigued by soft wipeable covers that you can use with anything you want inside: cotton, fleece, bamboo or hemp inserts. seems like it offers lots of versatility and is pretty low cost.  check out this one i am thinking of buying. the owner of the site created best bottoms and they look really cool.  those and the flip are my current ideas of what i will try.  not sure what i will do for newborn though.

do you cloth diaper? i'd love to hear what other people are doing.

6 comments:

  1. Yay for baby no. 3. I know people who do cloth diapers... let me know if you want their info (I think they like talking about it.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom is very fond of telling the older kids in my family (including me) that we survived cloth diapers and seemed to do fine. I had a friend who did cloth and loved them, and one who did it and hated it. I think it really depends on the type you get. I checked out the ones you're looking into, and they look like something I'd try as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And hooray for Baby #3 as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cloth diaper. It is great fun. Give me a jingle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna McAllister does cloth - she has loved the kind she uses... not sure what it is. I've entertained the idea of cloth. But then realized that would mean laundering every.single.day. and i just don't think i could do it. but props to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've done cloth with all 3. So far, don't mind the laundry (I did have a full-time maid with #2 though :).

    I haven't used anything fancy - chinese prefolds with pins for the diaper. I've used gerber plastic pants, a light cover that I loved but the company went out of business, and fancy "wraps". haven't noticed a big difference really with any of them. Currently using "gro-baby system". The diaper insert snaps in, but since I only have a few of the "system", I use their wrap with a chinese prefold inside most of the time. works well. Watch www.babysteals.com for deals - they've come up several times.

    Good luck with the bedrest - I wish I could help!!

    ReplyDelete